A delivery vehicle of a special kind enriches the immediate collection of historic vehicles at Audi: a " DKW electric car" in 1956. The little tramp is based on the " DKW Schnellaster ", which was built from 1949 to 1962. He helped to advance the economic miracle in the young Federal Republic.
The sample shown here is from the year 1956 and thus has the body of Quick Asters type 3, which was produced from 1955. Normally, the micro - van was driven by a three-cylinder two-stroke engine, which took 32 hp from just under 900 cubic centimeters. But unlike his colleagues Combustion of exciting growth is an electric vehicle at Audi. Of these, only 100 were built, most of them came into the service of utilities, municipal utilities and battery manufacturers. The restored copy, however, was used on the North Sea island of Wangerooge. There, cars have long been prohibited by internal combustion engines, so will transport tasks ?? pick up such as holiday guests from the station ?? dealt with electric vehicles. Also a bakery drove their baked goods at the time of an e-vices DKW.
The little tramp is one of two survivors of the few electric DKWs. He was extensively restored in order from Audi for several years at a company in Chemnitz and after its acceptance by TÜV back in working order. The little one is driven by an approximately five kilowatts (about 6.8 horsepower) electric motor. Side two lead batteries and boxes are stored. They have a nominal voltage of 80 volts and a capacity of 200 ampere hours. That's enough for as much as 80 kilometers in the top creates the e-vice city grade 40 km / h. For a nearly 60-year-old electric car, the range is remarkable, they can compete with that of today's Twizy ?? even if the faster drives.
The DKW brand itself was originally founded in Saxon Zschopau and flowed together with the Audi, Horch and Wanderer-Werke in 1932 in the Auto Union AG. The symbol of this merger are the four rings that just about every Audi today. The company was located in Chemnitz, which, however, was in the Soviet zone of occupation after the Second World War. The Auto Union AG was expropriated and dismantled factories. Several controllers had but already searched before a new location in Bavaria and found in Ingolstadt. There, the Auto Union GmbH was re-established, the first vehicle produced the DKW F 89 L Schnellaster was. With the demise of the two-stroke engines in the 1960s, also the brand name DKW disappeared in the drawer. (HD)